Part A: Influences to Your Writing
- List 5 favorite movies.
- List 5 favorite books.
- What's your favorite book from your childhood?
- What's you're favorite fairytale?
- List 5 favorite characters (from books, movies, TV, etc.)
- Look at your answers for 1-5. What do they have in common?
Part B: Looking Within
- List 3 topics you think about a lot / are passionate about.
- List 3 topics you know a lot about.
- List 3 topics you wish you knew more about.
- Look at your answers for 7-9 and circle any topics that come up in your writing.
- Looking at your writing as a whole, what does it all have in common?
Part C: Staying Focused
Look over all your answers to Parts A&B* and try to sum them up in one word. Write this word on a post-it and put it where you'll see it often. This can help you stay focused on what's really at the core of your writing.
*Note: a variant on this one is to look at your current writing project and try to sum it up in one word.
Part D: Moving Ahead
- List 3 topics or ideas of things you would like to write about (or incorporate into your current writing).
- List 3 reasons why you're resisting writing on one or more of these topics.
- What's the first *small* step you can take towards breaking down this resistance? Do that step today.
Things to keep in mind:
- You don't need to do all the parts every time, just the parts that are relevant to you in that moment.
- You can do this exercise multiple times. You might find your answers are a little different each time. That's part of the fun.
- Don't let yourself get bogged down answering these questions, just write what comes to mind first.