Wednesday, March 18, 2009

In Medias Res

I've been staring at this blank post box for I don't know how long and I can't seem to think of the perfect way to start my blog. This being my first post, I suppose it should be grand and important and I should have pearls of wisdom to share with the world. Yeah right.

So instead of agonizing over the beginning, I'm going to do what I usually do in most of my writing: start in the middle. No introductions. None of that "I live in Antarctica and I measure people's toes for a living" nonsense. You're just going to have to figure all that out as you go along.

And so we begin.

Have you ever hung upside down and looked around you? It's amazing how different things look. The ceiling, which is usually the most boring part of a room, suddenly becomes the perfect roller rink. And there's so much space without all the clutter from the world below... or above, depending on how you're looking at it.

The other thing about hanging upside down is that it jiggles your thoughts around inside your head and you wind up thinking things you wouldn't have thought otherwise. That and it makes all the blood rush to your head so your brain works harder. There's a science to hanging upside down. I should know. I made it up.

When I was a kid, I used to do this all the time: in the playground, hanging over the back of a chair, lying in bed with my head over the edge. In more recent years, I have abandoned this habit and I don't think I've been the better for it. My thoughts need jiggling and my cerebrum needs brain food.

I think I'll go hang upside down for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment