Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Daily Quota

I'm not one of those writers who gets up every morning at 5am and writes exactly 2,000 words before starting her day.  For me, writing is either feast or famine.  I'll spend a week mulling over a project, then sit and crank out 30 pages in two days.

What I'm realizing, though, is that if I don't figure out a way to keep myself accountable, as soon as school is done and I have no more deadlines, I'm at risk for losing all writing discipline.  This is why I've decided that I need to implement a daily quota regimen.

Here's how it's going to work:  I write one dot per day.  By this I mean, I write one scene (or group of small scenes) each day.  No word quota but I'm shooting for at least 1K.  The rules are as follows:
  1. Writing anything that's not my book is a bonus and won't count towards the quota.
  2. Outlines, character sketches, doodling, brainstorming, etc. don't count either.
  3. I get one day off per week.  If I make it through a week without needing a day off I get double kudos.
 Ready... Set...

No comments:

Post a Comment